Thanks everyone. I know it's a tricky negative to work with, but I have no intention of relegating it to the trash bin. Worst case, I can always scan and manipulate it, though I'm finding that more and more ungratifying lately. And if I get nothing good in terms of a print, the learning gained from the experience has been invaluable.

I made a few adjustments. First of all, I think my developer was pooped, so I mixed a fresh batch. I used a grade 5 filter under the lens (7 seconds) and burned in some highlights with a grade 00 filter (4 seconds). This is what I've come up with. There's still no true black in the image -- multiple attempts turned the background to mud. But I managed to get a lot closer and still retain some shadow detail.

img525-adj.jpg