Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
If there is a lag time between exposure and PO image formation, that would be very interesting.

However, mask formation inherently leads to less contrast, not more... right? If you think about these two mechanisms, reciprocity failure and self-masking, they're actually working against each other.
That's what I kept sketching as I tried to figure this out. Self masking, as image appears slowly, would be more complete at longer times. So the impact in the shadows if it is due to time lag of image formation must be trivial...

I am betting on reciprocity law failure in the highlights, suppose for sake of example that the reciprocity law failure makes it necessary to give 400% exposure to reach the threshold highlight...

In daylight without reciprocity failure and a normal contrast negative:
10 Light x 10 Time = Exposure = 100%

Under yellow filter causes reciprocity failure and a flat negative compensated adequately for the highlights to match:
4 Light x 100 Time = Exposure = 400%

The shadow in the 400% exposure would have less reciprocity failure, so it would be as if exposed 4 times as much, and it will be blacker. Higher contrast at lower intensity...