Quote Originally Posted by J.Leslie
Yes, Ed, I think you re-stated my frustration quite well. My concern with a colored or filter dodger is that filters still let the image through somewhat and I'm afraid that the waving about in front of the image will let some of the image through distorted. I'll try it though and let you know.

I tried tri color printing last night to see if I could better control which colors are dodged/burned in. It was better but time consuming. I have 324 images to resolve this for, so the time cost will be frustrating with tri color. Again, something like the tri tone separation using hard line negatives that don millikan mentions in another thread might be adaptable to this problem, but to do so for so many images would be nuts.

Thanks so much for the quick response.
Interesting thread and the thoughts that have been expressed are pertinent. I have not worked with color in a number of years and the thoughts that I have on the subject may not be workable. However I will propose them anyway.

Sharp masking should be as applicable to color as it is to my darkroom practices in black and white. Sharp masks are very precise burning and dodging tools. As such they are density initiated. By using lithographic half tone film contact exposed to the original camera negative, the appropriate interpositive (for dodging purposes) and second generation sharp negative (burning purposes) could very easily be produced. This would insure greater repeatability when a large number of the same print are required. Additionally this would allow very precise burning with color filtration adjustments should that be appropriate (albeit, the adjustments would need to be determined by actual trial in your darkroom and with your materials).

As an additional thought and aside from the conventional printing and possible sharp masking I have mentioned, it would seem that using lithographic materials that one could do color separation masking by producing the appropriate color separations much as the matrices are in dye transfer printing. I would think that if one were to do this that the color fidelity would be greater then any other process currently in use.

The downside to both of the processes which I proposed is that very precise pin registration methods would need to be employed. However one additional benefit would be that if one were doing Ilfochrome the method to do unsharp contrast masking would already be in place.

As I initially stated, these are my thoughts on processes that are not currently being employed, at least to my knowledge. It might be interesting for someone to pick up the banner and work these out.