Quote Originally Posted by PentaxBronica View Post
Bear in mind that the USSR had a rather...robust approach to engineering. I've heard that the T-34 tank engines were designed to machine themselves over the first few thousand miles, if they survived that long in combat. I'd imagine that an oil change involved a magnet to catch all the metal shavings!
From the dealership, my 1974 standard VW Beetle had a magnet attached to the crankcase oil drain cover to do exactly that, only instead of shavings it was a fine silver sludge. The dealership would replace this with a standard drain plate when you came in for your first service. That engine didn't even have an oil filter, just a screen thing to, as my mechanic said, 'catch bugs and birds that get in the crankcase". Kept that car for nine years until the salt on Illinois winter roads corroded a hole in the floor pan through which you could see the road go by. Once, on a bet, I relieved myself through it whilst driving to Chicago on I-80. A great car that finished building its engine while you owned it.