No, I don't know Enzo Nastati

I was looking around yesterday for statistics about vegetarianism and cancer. Found recent statistics which give a marked correlation but not so marked as I remembered. Meat eaters are some say 2, some say even 10 times more likely to get a cancer, but they have not so dramatically higher probabilities as 40 or 50 times higher.

What I remember is statistics known let's say 30 years ago and based on studies which were, in turn, decades older.

I think that modern western life has greatly increased the possibility of cancer: formaldehyde in our furniture, preservatives in our underwear, fluoride in drinking water (greatly increased in respect to decades ago, because bacteria become resistant), and possibly higher number of people exposed to air pollution (urban drift) have probably increased the number of cancers favoured by extra-alimentary factors. Vegetarians are not any more so much at "advantage" because the other risks have increased.

Nonetheless I read a text saying some of those research don't examine real vegetarians. Vegetarian, or non-meat eater, is often defined somebody who eats meat less than once a week. Meat-eaters are those who eat meat at least once a day or so. They should be defined "strong carnivorous" and "mild carnivorous" in fact. I understand that an extensive study about "strict vegetarians" is more difficult to conduct.

One thing I remember having read is that in Britain during WWII when meat availability was severely restrained for several years the cancer rate dropped dramatically.