Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
Very nice Mark.
PE
Ron, thanks for the encouragement. I missed Gainer and crowd by a few years, making me sometimes feel like the party is over.

Well, here's a device I made to accurately measure strips of film, and cut them on frame-boundaries. You can use it to measure any length, including individual frames, but I'm using it to measure two-frame strips for the PVC strip-holder I posted a couple days ago.

When shooting the roll, first mark the frame-boundary on the leader with a felt-tip marker. When rewinding, leave the leader out, and cut it on the marked frame-boundary. With the lights on, load it into the home-made frame-advancer thusly:

Framer1.jpg

Position the film-edge to where the scissors will be. Load it such that the crank will be pointing down when the film is at the cut-position (as shown). Turn the darkroom-lights off (or put it into a changing-bag), and make the cuts. Because there's no drift in position, every cut will be between frames. I prefer to keep the crank in the rear, as it's out of the way when I'm handling scissors with the other hand, like this:

Framer2.jpg

A couple more shots to show the construction:

Framer3.jpg Framer4.jpg

When selecting a junk camera from which to extract a sprocket, make sure the sprocket has eight teeth, so that one revolution will be one frame. Most have eight, but a few don't. When drilling the holes, I positioned the sprocket slightly too low, so the film jammed on entry. Sanding the top of the block down a little fixed that. The slots on top of the wooden block were cut with a saw, but it took two adjacent cuts to make each slot wide enough.

It took me an evening to make this device, but I think it was time well-spent.

Mark Overton