Quote Originally Posted by paul_c5x4 View Post
To be on the safe side, consider installing a Carbon Monoxide Detector.
I completely concur. This is good advice for anyone with any combustion appliances in their home as well as those with no combustion appliances but an attached garage.

Important point: those widely available carbon monoxide detectors you'll find in home stores, etc. are all UL listed. While UL listing is usually a good thing, in my opinion it's bad for carbon monoxide detectors. The standard those ubiquitous detectors are certified to was written more to satisfy the agencies that must respond to 911 calls rather than to provide optimum human protection. Compliant detectors don't alarm at all until substantial levels of carbon dioxide are present and, even then, only after a long delay. All this to preclude so-called "false alarms." Long-term low-level carbon monoxide poisoning is insidious and, in my opinion, much more common that one might think. The medical community probably wastes a lot of time chasing other explanations for the symptoms it causes.

In my home, I've installed a carbon monoxide detector that sounds immediately when very low levels are present. It's more expensive and the chemical detection element has a fixed service life, therefore requiring replacement after five years, but I think my life and health are worth the cost. Here's a place that sells the brand I have:

A note on my calendar reminds me to order a new one every five years. Exact appearance of CO Experts units have changed (and, based on the linked page, will be changing again), but that's the one I'll get next time too. Spending hours in a darkroom that also contains a gas-fired water heater and furnace is far too great a risk without this kind of protection.