Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post
Actually though, some of our best work is still on the negs or computer, that we haven't spent enough time with to make a great print of. Or somehow passed it by completely when we were editing.
This could be true, another question of judgement. Maybe I've been making and printing the wrong photographs all this time? But if the ones I have printed aren't that great, it seems unlikely the discarded ones will be masterpieces. I see making photographs as growth, in conjunction with constantly heightened awareness and openness. My older images were made with a narrow frame of mind - as well as technical and aesthetic naivety. I'm still going with the idea that, if I keep at it, I'll hit my peak in my mid to late 40s - so I have a good twenty years! Apologies to anyone already there... everyone. With Ansel Adams for instance, an unprinted negative he made in 1945 is more likely a better picture than one from 1925. It might be a different story for photojournalists/street photographers, who can easily overlook the millions of negs they make every day.