Quote Originally Posted by fingel
I would hate it if Kodachrome went away, I have been looking at old slides from when I was a kid and even before I was born and the ones that were shot on Kodachrome were still bright and colorful, the ones that were shot on Ektachrome or Fujichrome looked like crap. All these slides were stored dark and only projected once in a while. Some of the Ektachrome slides were shot fairly receintly (mabe 15 years ago) and they looked faded while some of the Kodachrome was shot in the 1940's and 50's and still looked wonderful.
I wonder if there isn't something about processing or storage that is affecting the Ektachromes people are reporting as fading? I just ran across some Ektachrome (don't recall precisely which, but probably either E-3 Ektachrome 64 or the very first Ektachrome 100, then-new E-4 process) that I shot in a Brownie Holiday (127 box camera) in 1973. These two strips, two exposures each, have been knocking around with the few photos I have left from those days, have survived at least 15 or 20 moves, storage in a basement that occasionally flooded (they never got wet, but the humidity was very high at times), uncontrolled temperatures ranging from freezing up to 100 F or higher -- and they look as good as the day I got them back from processing, far better than the Kodacolor prints they were stored with, which do show some slight fading. The B&W prints in that envelope are fine, no surprise...