Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherCoy View Post
I know how to pretty much nail my exposures with an in camera meter of course, and for my manual cameras I'm getting better. I always try to mentally figure it out before using my incident meter, or another camera.

But what I meant is that if you usually use 7 rolls of 120 for a client session to photograph different poses or locations, do you cover the cost of those 7 rolls by your session fee, or by print sales? Some people use the session fee to only cover their time, and if you're using 7 rolls of film and the client only buys one 8x10 then you're actually loosing money...
I had done this with TriX to a degree that I could get predictable results, but ever since the big news I've been intent on moving to Ilford films and chemicals. I dont see any point in continuing my efforts to learn the nuances of Kodak stuff if there's no guarantee it will be around for any further extended period of time.
Price your session fee to match your typical costs. If you will typically use 3 rolls, base your materials cost calculations on that.

In most cases, if you need 7 rolls it will be because there are more than the usual number of good things happening in a session, not more problems, so print sales are likely to be better.

And I would suggest staying with the materials that you are still learning. If you develop the ability to attain good, repeatable results with Tri-X, it will be much easier for you to transition to HP-5 Plus.