I spent some time looking at both pictures on the screen to see if indeed it was the same street.
its funny how the first image has better verticals so I suspect it was a large format camera.
I saw a couple of buildings that could be the same ... I like the scene even thought though the colouring was a bit over the top. Looks like a single
image to me as well.
Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
no, but small lens openings had...this is obviously shot with a view camera -- notice how everyone is looking up at the camera? The guy set up, focused 1/3 of the way through the crowd (hyperfocal distance) hollered "OK!" and shot. On a large format camera the whole thing would look pretty sharp, and even 1/15th of a second or so would be fast enough because everyone is either standing still looking at him or -- horse and carriage -- moving in a line away/towards the camera, thus making a fast shutter speed less critical.

Are you suggesting he shot multiple takes and combined them? It doesn't look like the sort of picture worth that sort of trouble.Happy to be proven wrong, but Occam's razor applies here.