I like threads like these, in which we can all plug our favorite lenses with no pressure. I have enormous respect for my 24mm f/2.8 AI; it is a stellar performer. It has CRC and focuses down to 1’ by itself. Reversed, it achieves a 2.6X reproduction ratio (with a bellows, you can go up to 10X, but I’ve never tried it). The K1 extension tube works very well with the 24mm; you don’t often think of using a wide angle for close-ups, but it’s a trip when you first try it! I haven’t noticed any distortion with the 24, but I tend to want a wider lens for buildings and interiors anyway.

My favorite telephoto is my Nikkor-Q 135mm f/3.5. It’s a beautiful lens and it kicks ass. I have a 200mm f/4 AIS, but I never really clicked with it; I get frustrated by its minimum focusing distance. The felt-lined hood is pretty bitchin though.

All that said, the focal lengths I use the most are 18 and 50. My 18 is sort of my normal lens and I use 50mm lenses like short telephotos. It’s important to note that I shoot urban landscape and I avoid people like the plague. Everyone has different needs and everyone sees differently.

Regarding the 28mm f/2.8 AI vs. 28mm f/2.8 AIS, Mike Johnston has stated that he prefers the AI version for its better bokeh; he shoots mostly B&W though. The only 28 I’ve personally used is the 28mm f/2.8D, which I always heard was a dog, but I like it just fine.