Hi all,

I am just getting into the alternative process, I have been looking at Cyanotypes which I will be doing contact prints with, I have also found that you can use them 'in camera' replacing normal film and paper negatives, they will of course come out at the same size as the camera format and you can't really enlarge them but I am thinking of getting a LF camera soon anyway. Using a cyanotype paper in camera will mean very long exposures ie a few hours rather than less than 10 minutes to do contact printing.

Thats not the question I want to ask though, I like Cyanotype because there are 2 easyish to get chemicals that won't kill you or explode and you develop in water (plus hydrogen peroxide if needed), this makes for a nice simple method which is easy and cheap to do. The main issue I have with film is the cost and issues around development due to the number of chemicals needed in some of the development processes - although I am thinking of doing a stand process with 100 + 1 Rodnal dilution which apparently works well. Also the film can get quite expensive especially with the larger format cameras, 35mm is ok as you get between 36 and 72 shots per roll, medium format you get about 8 shots per roll and LF cameras you get 1 lol

I am therefore looking for something that I can hand mix thats easy to use like a paper negative, I do like tintype but am aware of all the issues around that process mainly due to the fact you need to develop it asap and it takes a while to set up so thats why im asking if there is a process that is:

Easy to mix up
Cheap ingredients
Easy to develop
Easy to handle (ie won't kill me lol)

I think the closest I can think of is probably something like salt printing, however that probably still can't really be used in camera, im not too worried about the lenght of the exposure as I plan to do landscapes etc with it, but what options are there for hand mixed emulsions that are used in camera?