Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
flawed has nothing to do with editing one's collection, it has to do with imperfection.
and realizing there is no such thing as perfection or a silver bullet.
there are too many people seeking silver bullets, just read apug and other places
where people ask for perfect film and developer combinations, perfect lenses
perfect ways to mimic ansel adams or karsh's work &C .
I would not characterize suggesting someone save some money by buying a Canon Elan 7ne and a brand new Canon nifty fifty as "seeking silver bullets." In any other field of endeavor outside of "art" that would be considered a prudent economical move.

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
personally, i don't "get" f64 aesthetic or grand landscape west coast ideals.
clinical, razor sharp "perfect" images to me are a bore, a weird abstract perversion of reality
the HDR of analog ...

i would rather see something that may have "flaws"
(shallow DOF, poor color rendition, flare, scratches, &c ) any day of the week ...

Mmmm... yeah but you know about "f64 aesthetic or grand landscape west cost ideals." That's my point. You made an informed decision. My first job out of college was primarily concerned with moving product in order to improve the corporate balance sheet. I left that field entirely and went to graduate school. I am now primarily concerned with doing the best thing for the counter party... even if they aren't too thrilled about it. But I can be honest with people and let them make informed decisions. If they get ALL the objective information and still decide on a course of action I personally wouldn't choose myself that's fine. But in my experience when you show someone a $200 Lomo camera and then show them a sub $100 Canon Elan 7ne and a $100 nifty fity 10 times out of 10 they go for the Canon package. It's not even a contest. If some artist says I'm putting my Hasselblad on the shelf for awhile and doing some experimental stuff with a Lomo camera I say, cool, knock yourself out, make sure to show me the results when you are done.

I'm sure if you were to put together a portfolio of your favorite shots I would find it enjoyable. But you have to realize just because it is spontaneous and creative there is a lot of knowledge and thought behind it. I know if you take a picture with a Lomography camera and there is some cool effect you will probably be able to decipher why it happened and reproduce it at some later point when you think it is appropriate. You will probably be able to also suppress it when you don't think it adds to the picture. And I'm sure there are tons of Lomography.com effects you can replicate for a lot less than $300.