Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim View Post
I don't know. You seem to assume that these people are stupid.
You are confusing the words stupid and ignorant. Just because someone is ignorant about something doesn't mean they are stupid. At some point all of us were ignorant about photography. Multiple very knowledgeable people guided me in my journey till the point where I could go out and get information on my own. I did not learn about photography from a skewed marketing campaign seeking to sell me overpriced plastic cameras. My causal conversations with a cross section of society tells me most people consider film to be low fi. Go on Hulu and watch the SNL from this Saturday 11/17/12 (about 52 minutes in with commercials on my DVR). Watch the Weekend Update segment. At one point you will hear what the general public's assessment of film is. After you hear that come back and tell me whether you think the general public is stupid or merely just ignorant about this particular topic.

A lot of them develop their own film because labs are few and far between who cross process.
Sam's club cross processes my 35mm slide film for $1.50 while I shop for 50 packs of Charmin. If I need to do regular C-41 processing of my 220 Portra Walmart does it for $0.84. Now I might be a "snob" that buys cheap Canons on ebay and shops at Walmart but I truly feel their everyday low prices are available to most Americans. Anyway one time when the Sam's machine was down I had to pony up something like $5 and get the cross processing down at Walgreens. That stung a bit but not enough for me to open a C-41 minilab in my domicile.

The reason that you're getting flack is that you seem to be mixing up the corporate entity that supplies film and such with the actual photography movement which is just a bunch of people having fun taking photographs.
Actually it is the exact opposite. I criticized the Lomography.com marketing strategy and the thread was flooded with people claiming I am obsessed with Leica and I am a "snob." I think it is obvious to even the casual observer I have several very objective and rational criticisms of the lomography.com marketing strategy and poster after poster has thrown up multiple straw men instead of discussing the very real fact that if you objective is to capture quality images in a care free spontaneous manner there are numerous far cheaper tools widely available. This really has been an "Emporer has no clothes" moment.

The majority of the people doing lomography aren't buying the cameras new from Lomography. You can get most of the lower end cameras on Ebay from the countries in which they're manufactured readily and all you have to do is search for the camera you want to see that.
Doesn't matter. There are cheap Canons that get the job done better and easier. Can we not just agree on that? This isn't about art or a philosophy. This is about objective facts. I just don't understand why when you look at facts through the prism of so called "art" they all of a sudden turn into opinion.

However, I'm not going to tell someone how to spend their money.
I routinely tell people not to spend their money on cigarettes. I hope in your eyes that doesn't make me a bad person.