Deckle originate from the german word Deckel wich means cover or lid.

Seemingly in early papermaking the frame that held the paper pulp on the web was called Deckel too.
As paper pulp leaked under that frame, the uneven thin edge was called deckle edge.

From this a on-purpose sharp cut wavy edge got the name deckle edge too.