One reason Agfa oand Ferrania weren't considered on a par with Kodak and Fuji was because before C41 and E6 became the standards they used their own proprietary processing formulae which were less common.

Personally I preferrred Aga's colour materials to Kodak's E3/4 and C22 films but there weren't many professional processing labs compared to Kodak/Fuji.

The Konica/Sakura E6 slide films were just not in the same league as Agfa, Fuji and Kodak in terms of colour, contrast, grain etc, Ferrania/3M were about the ssame but some of the C41 films were very good.

I remember 3M - Ferrania trying to break into the professional market in the early 1980's and they had made significant improvements in their films and RA4 paper, I had a sample pack with various films and some paper to try and was reasonably impressed but the labs we used preferred Kodak or Fuji materials.

In the UK the Fuji E4 films were slightly better than the Kodak films in terms of contrast and colour fidelity and when the switch to E6 came they began to increase their market share very rapidly. Their film batches (E6) were more consistent than Kodak professional films which still needed slight filtration if you needed good colour matching, each box came with a recommended filtration and varitaion in EI. This was importnat were part of a job might be shot on different formats or even different batches of film.

Agfa in the UK had lost potential market share because Kodak's processes C22 and E3/4 had vbecome the de facto standards and when they did switch to E6 and C41 it was to late to catch up.

I'm sure AgX could tell us how thinhs were quite different in (West) Germany. The Soviet block (inc East Germany)were different still with a total reliance on older Agfa based colour systems, many of us remember using ORWO CT18 which was much cheaper than anything else

Ian