Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
If they are looked at without the clutter of all the similar photography done since, to me they are astonishing in their artistry and creativity.
Looking at his work without thinking about all the copycats will only become more difficult, and this is the biggest problem with photography as lasting original art. The value of great original photography is forgotten much quicker than original paintings. In twenty years, I think William Eggleston will be the new Ansel Adams and the biggest insults when presenting work will be "he's trying to be Eggleston", "nostalgic trash - reminds me of Eggleston", "seeing democratically? You're living in the past maaan".

For me, AA's lasting contribution is his plea for technical competence - which has now become child's play in photography and thus, has no value in and of itself. Contrast is an intuitive decision, just like it is when setting up a new television, there's nothing theoretical about it. To go to the AA level with traditional photographic craft today is like driving a steam engine to work in the rush hour - you'll annoy most people and get a few laughs and curious looks from others. But critically, your work won't be remembered.