Quote Originally Posted by frotog View Post
This is grainy film - no way around that. As such you should focus on tonality and acutance. Realize that the nominal asa is closer to 1000, not 3200. If you want good tonality, rate it at 1000. Someone has already rightly pointed out that low light scenes are inherently more contrasty than not. Attempting to squeeze more film speed with extended developer times will lead to insanely dense highlights, blocked middle tones and no increased density in the shadow areas.

I used to have a job shooting this stuff for aerial night photography. The preliminary part of the job was to test it with numerous developers. Surprise!...I discovered that compensating developers gave negs that yielded the most pleasing, easy to print results. At the time Cachet AB55 worked best(since discontinued) , followed by dilute ddx (gentle agitation scheme), and diafine. Now I prefer rodinal stand precisely for these reasons - eminently printable and razor-like acutance. There's really no point in using fine grain developers with high speed films like delta 3200. The results will look soft and blotchy.

Now, at some point you'll have to stop asking questions about the myriad developer formulas and try it out yourself - either shoot or get off the pot!
Have you actually tried it at 3200 in contrasty light or just giving the standard spiel?

Like TMZ this film is inherently low contrast, so when pushed the contrast increase is less than one would expect and tonality still looks good.

No doubt they look better at 1000, but I don't see the point in shooting Delta 3200 (or TMZ for that matter) at 1000. For that I personally like Tri-X in Diafine a lot better, unless you WANT more grain (though Delta 3200 and especially TMZ will certainly be sharper.) These films are made to push. I push the hell out of 'em. I go up to 6400 with TMZ at need and like the results. I've not tried Delta 3200 at 6400 but will have to do that.

Oh BTW, WRT Cahcet AB55: I tried the stuff once. With Tri-X at least it gave me too much contrast, or at least more than I wanted though certainly easily printable, and grain like giant golf balls. I have never, ever, seen grain like that from Tri-X. Others seem to have had very different results but it put me off the stuff. No matter since it's gone anyway.