AA advocated the use of full black in prints, no doubt. But in regard to his own aesthetic, what he did not prefer, from what is in the literature that I can tell, was a large percentage of the image containing empty black space. For me, it depends on the image wether or not I find that appealing. But it is also no doubt, that he did not ignore the extreme ends of the gray scale at all:

"...the subtleties of the lightest and darkest tones involve the entire range of the paper's sensitivity, and often the qualities characterizing a truly fine print may be found in the delicate variations of the extremely light and dark values."
AA - The Print

That simply says it all right there when it comes to AA and his intent. And it all points back, IMO, to his use of the ZS and the command of craft to be able to make a negative to achieve such a level of self imposed perfection. One of the greatest things about AA, IMO, is that there were not any magic tricks in his brand of photography that enabled him to achieve that level for himself. Today, we have available to us: chemicals, film, paper, camera, and light meter, the same as in his day................like I said, no magic tricks. I personally strive for that same useage of the entire gray scale in what I do, I find that I am drawn to pictures that have it as opposed to those that don't.