Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
What does "LOMO" mean?

To me?

Cheap plastic camera. Lightweight. It has limitations. No worries.

I bought a Holga years back when it was something like $15. I'm still using the same Holga. Yeah, I have other cameras. I have Pen-F to Toyo 8x10. What do I like to have with me when I'm on a bicycle? The Holga.

It weighs 8oz. I don't care if it bangs against the bike as I'm riding. I don't care if it gets stolen or ruined or broken. It has one speed and one aperture, and I can live with that. I patched the light leak holes with black tape. If I run a lot of film through it, my thumb starts to get raw from the sharp edges on the winding wheel.

Why do I keep using it? The most important reason is that I never think to myself, "should I photograph that?" I just do it. I don't worry about it. I go through roll after roll after roll. And I don't care.

I don't photograph like that with my other cameras. Except maybe my Pen-F, which I haven't been using because it needs a CLA. Anyways, with my 8x10 I carry with me 6 holders, so I get 12 shots, and that's it. There's a lot more shots than that riding my bicycle. Really, there are. And it's harder to pack the 8x10. So with the 8x10 or other cameras, for some reason I get into a rationing mentality. I need to ration the shots. Sure, I have to do it with sheet film. And for some reason, I also do it with my other good cameras.

But not with the Holga.

I release cares and concerns with the Holga. They are set aside. They don't matter. I accept the results for what they are. What comes, comes. What gets on the film, is what's there. That's all. That's all that there needs to be.

Just out of curiosity, approximately how many of those images do you print and/or exhibit? I have exhibited some of my Holga images, and I have printed some up to 11x14. I average about 1 printable image per roll of 12. Which is only slightly less than with my Mamiya TLR.

Cheers,

-- Mark