Quote Originally Posted by MarkL View Post
I’m sure the economics of film production are complex and sales are down, but if a manufacturer were able to offer an old school really grainy film, I suspect it would be very popular. Film grain has mostly evolved to be smoother and smoother over the years, but many of us would absolutely love availability of just the opposite. I know it’s possible to get somewhat more visible grain by using high speed films, enlarging small negatives, using condensers, etc… But I’m talking about very apparent obscenely coarse large grain without jumping through hoops to get it (especially with sheet film).

I’m just a dummy who points cameras at things and am sure Ilford has already thought of this. I’m just surprised no one has done it. I’ve heard more than once that film grain is unique and not well duplicated digitally, and that’s why some people use film, and why more people might start buying it!

Just part of my na´ve wish list. I know I’d buy a boat load of it!
hi markl

you can get grain out of nearly any film, even tab-grain films like 2oocreativ, tmax and delta films
just buy using a different development strategy. i am not sure what developer you use, but
if you use a more active developer ( maybe ) than what you are using, change your development temperature,
maybe change how you shoot your film, you can get beautiful grain.

i use pretty much the same developer and development strategy for most of the film i expose.
usually i over develop by a stop or a few, and i stand develop in a strong brew of caffenol and a few cc's of print developer

of course this sort of thing isn't meant for everyone or ... but it works flawlessly in getting grain and stain on nearly everything i shoot, even 4x5 and 5x7 film ...

your actual mileage may vary from factory specifications of course ..
john