Quote Originally Posted by psychfunk View Post
I think I phrased the question wrongly: Does having a more dilute developer and therefore longer development times give a greater timing latitude?

I'm not familiar with Delta 400, so let's take HP5. I would develop for 5.25 minutes in dil. B, and 10.5 in dil. H. The difference of a quarter of a minute at dilution B can really change the negative, because HC-110 is so active. Is this effect lessened by greater dilution?
psychfunk,

I enjoy development times 9-15 minutes in D-76 1:1 and would hesitate if the indicated development times were less than 5 minutes. At short development times you can get uneven development.

I am careful in all my measures... like tkamiya, except I am not very careful with time. The timer is across the room when I start it and then I put film in tray (or developer in tank). So my accuracy on times can be off by a minute easily.

Take sheet film for example. Start timer... turn around and leaf one sheet in the developer after the other. 30 seconds - 45 seconds can elapse before all the sheets are in developer... At the end of the cycle, take one sheet out at a time... Although Fred Picker would rotate a sheet to keep track of which was the number one sheet, I don't track the first shot in... I am far more concerned with smoothness of motion than exact time in developer. I would rather have to print a shot on Grade 2 because it got one minute more development than another shot of the same batch... than have to retouch a scratch on the print.

Long story short... Yes. Greater dilution, longer time. One minute time error 15 minutes instead of 14 will be hardly noticeable. While if the total time was 5 minutes and you gave it 6, the difference could be a paper grade change.