Gerald Koch: I must confess something that I thought too trivial or even esoteric. Your quote about Geoffrey Crawley: "small amount of bicarbonate that was necessary for the developer to work correctly"...

Is anyone able to corroborate or clarify the following? Sometimes I add carbonate to the developer and find that I added to much. I 'rectify' by adding some baking soda in order to bring the energy back down. Honestly, the developer seems to act smoother and impart tones more evenly. I even explored this further by dipping a bit of film or paper into two small cups of developer in roomlight: one with the bicarbonate and one without. The one with the bicarbonate, although slower to develop, seems to develop more evenly from the start and, although both examples were even with full development, I like the initial evenness that I thought was brought about by the bicarbonate. Perhaps this is simply conjecture and wishful thinking on my part but I wonder if there is any agreement with this. In my unscientific way of thinking, it seems to be a sort of buffer. Thank you. - David Lyga