Quote Originally Posted by roy
All this leads to my main point and that is can I have some advice please, on the advisability of selenium toning negs to give them a bit more body and contrast. Les, I have found your advice given on Colin's workshops useful, are you able to chip in here ? The moral of all this is however, listen to good advice you are given but in my defence I must say you do not know until you try for yourself and I was trying out different combinations !!
however, listen to good advice you are given but in my defence I must say you do not know until you try for yourself and I was trying out different combinations !![/quote]

I'd suggest 10 minutes in selenium toner diluted 1 part toner to 3 parts water at 20c. The best you can hope for is perhaps 3/4 of a grade of paper contrast. This is based on having some information on the negative, clearly if there is nothing there you cannot intensify it. There are other intensifyers, such as mercury which will give significant increases but the chemicals are probably difficult to get or not available unless you know someone who has access. one downer with mercury, other than it's nasty, is that it does significantly increase grain. Chromium is also good and is available from Fotospeed. It's similar to toning in that you bleach the negative and redevelop it in PRINT developer and get an increase of about 15% in density. You can repeat this process several times but you will increase the grain in the neg. I understand that it is proportional in that it will intensify the highlights slightly more that the shadows so some increase in contrast is likely to be the result. It's worth a try if you do have a neg that you want to print. If you want to call them their new number is 01249 714555.

I