Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
So let me get this straight...

You do cycling spec work and talk among other amateur photographers who engage in the new practically-free-till-I-make-it-big wedding market and then reply with the statement above to full time professionals who are giving you *direct* examples of how it does work?

I'm sorry but you are just not getting it in my opinion. The market for the 1K shooter is not growing, it is contracting....fast. So that is not really a market to aspire to then, right? The market to aspire to break into is one that requires you as the shooter to effectively show through dynamic marketing presence high levels of skill and above all, talent. This shooter can easily market his film work to further set his product apart and it will work, because his client base IS educated, well cultured and wants more than "Just good quality photos" to begin with.

The people you refer to above are not even a market as they would happily pay you $100 or nothing at all for "Just good quality photos"....

That is what you are missing here, what you refer to is not even a market while the one the film shooter is going after most certainly is...

You make it to sound like film photography is making a come back and driving out all those wedding photographers shooting with their 20mp+ full frame camera. The reality is the opposite. This is the first time I heard about the 1k wedding market is shrinking. With today's economy, 1k for most couples for wedding photography can be too much. Don't believe me? Go look up Criag List for the $500 wedding photographers. Of course, if your typical clients are making more than 6 figure annual incomes, you would probably don't care too much about the normal folks. To generalize your unusual experiences to the general photography market is just wrong. Just out of touch with the reality.