Quote Originally Posted by wogster View Post
The problem with film, is that for about 50 years, they couldn't make it fast enough, so they developed larger and larger scale production facilities, when the market started to shrink, there was no way to shrink supply to meet the new levels of demand. For a while now, the only way to shrink supply has been to reduce the number of products and facilities. The largest user of film is still Hollywood, and print films are the ones most commonly used. This is changing though, and I would not be surprised to see at least one company close their coating facility in the next 3-4 years, if I were to guess, it will probably be the Kodak facility in Rochester. Because Ilford, A-G and Fuji will be enough to sustain the smaller market.
In another thread the good news was pointed out that the possible end of motion picture film does not necessarily signify the probable end of still photography film, Kodak case aside.

The reason for this is that Fujifilm (maybe also Agfa-Gevaert and the Chinese, I don't know) use the same coating machine(s) to coat motion picture film, still photography film, paper and maybe other materials. The demise of motion picture film would not in itself make the rest of the production economically unviable.

The Kodak case is different. As explained by PE Kodak has its coating spread among several (two or three? I don't remember) coating facilities. One is devoted to paper (and is located in the UK going by memory), one to film. The coating facility in Rochester coats IIRC only MP film and photography film. For that coating facility the demise of MP film would pose, is my understanding, an industrial problem.

What is interesting to note is that for Fujifilm and possibly other producers production of slide film and negative film will be economically viable even in case of MP film not being produced any more because photographic paper and other products will go on being produced on the same facilities.