Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
There is a deep and somewhat abstract philosophical reason for deliberately choosing not to look at digital pictures but rather actively to seek out genuine photographs. It is precisely the same reason for preferring photographs over paintings, drawings, and digital print-outs of one kind or another.
Hi Maris,

I always enjoy your philosophy, though I wonder if I am sophisticated enough to prefer the "light formed" image versus the "marked" image. I am sure I enjoy both.

Because I have history as a printer, I have always been aware of the difference between something I prepared plates for to print as reproduction... and the original. Even if the "original" was itself one of an edition of prints.

A serigraph by Henri Matisse could captivate me. I would accept a detectable silk screen pattern, knowing it as signature of authenticity*. But halftone dots would immediately reveal it to me as a ruse if the example was a lithographically reproduced poster.

*I know Matisse' simple shapes could be easily forged, I'm not that talented an art assayer.

So part of my manifesto is that I will not produce work with halftone dots, including the stochastic patterns that can simulate grain and make it seem "real". If you see grain in my work it will be magnifiable to the limit of a lens.