Quote Originally Posted by dnjl View Post
Just out of curiosity, would microwaving the slides kill the fungus while leaving the film intact (and dry)?
Probably not; unless you could control the oven to a degree where you get exactly the correct amount of heat where needed, I would advise against putting slides in the microwave oven - unless you want a lump of melted plastic and a kitchen full of fumes, that is! :-D

To the OP: If the images are precious to you, I'd scan them at high res before cleaning. Better to have a dirty scan than no scan at all...

All IMO, and YMVV.
Cheers,
kevs