Well, here is the way I figured it.

I used about 100 mg/mole of Sodium Thiosulfate Pentahydrate per mole of Silver. This works out to (64/248) x 100 or about 25 mg / mole of actual Sulfur. The amount of actual moles of Gold would then be about 8 mg / mole of Silver. But, my emulsion is 1 micron and the chart in the book suggests that this is way too much Sulfur and so it would be too much gold.

How then did I come up with the quantities I used? Well, by trial and error. That is because each emulsion is a beast unto itself and the chart and text books are only guidelines.

Also, I left gold out of the book because the emulsion can become much more complicated. This is because the chances of severe fog go way up as does the chance to get low contrast. Preventative measures can often be complex.

So, not knowing anything about the emulsion you are working with, I suggest some experiments where you add a mix of your Sulfur + Gold at 3/1 ratio and try different levels for 1 hour at 50 C and see what happens. Then go from there.

One thing is this, Steigman's formula is not Denise's, it is Steigmans! And, it was used by Agfa in the 30s and 40s and is mentioned in both the FIAT and BIOS reports. The actual current finishing (chemical sensitizing) solution is a closely guarded secret as I note in the example in the book. It is a mix of 3 ingredients, ratios unknown, and concentration unknown.

I tried to keep this "first volume" as simple as possible. Perhaps in V2 I should compare S and S+Au?

PE