Its a weird relationship - all these things were once thoughtfully bought for a fair chunk of cash... And here they are, a few years go by and they have no value. Like you said, one man's junk...
The FG looks like a neat little camera - I hear a lot of bad things about them from die hard Nikon guys... but it seems like a good little camera - for what it is. And I'm a Canon user, frankly I like my AE-1 better (its basically the Canon equivalent, isn't it?), but I can see a good case being made for the FG, especially with all the good glass availble for it.
On the one hand you have a little more range of shutter speeds witht he AE-1 (up to 2secs vs 1 in the FG) and depth of field/stopped down button, where the FG has adjustible exposure compensation, vertical travel shutter, higher max flash sync (well, in the flash dept in it just leaves the canon in the dust - but that seems to be something that Canon always lost out on, even on the F cameras), the full auto mode, and of course, the audio alarm feature! You gotta love the audio alarm!
So I guess its a matter of what you need more. The FG is a fair bit smaller, so I guess its handier, it has aperture priority automation vs shutter priority on the AE1 - again, a matter of what you need more for your particular shooting needs (I don't really use either much, so its a bit academic to me)...
Also, the mirror slap is just ridiculous on the Nikon.
I can certainly see why the two camps have been debating so much over the years - both excellent products in their time, each showing a different approach. Now I have both, so I guess yey me! (and the price was right )