I'm with the photographer with both hands and feet.

First, I don't understand how people don't understand that lifting a man in that circumstance is a very risky exercise. You can be a "hero" if you do it, therefore you cannot be a "coward" if you don't do it. Nobody has the "must" to risk his life to help others. It's noble and generous if you do it. It's human and fine if you don't.

The fingerpointing case would be founded only if helping the person in danger would entail no personal risk for the helper.

That important point made, taking pictures is always fine in my book. If I had the readiness of spirit, and if I were there, I would take pictures of bank robberies, firearm exchange, and anything else. "Intervening" is something devoted to the police. People without cameras call the police. People with a camera take pictures which can be very important. I know with modern phones that's a bit blurry. Documenting any event can be precious one day.

(Hypothesis: the person doesn't die because the train manages to stop in time. The person sues the NY underground and wins thanks, in part, also to the images taken by the photographer. Or the person dies and the shock created by the pictures makes people think about remedies so that it doesn't happen again. No pictures, no story).

That particular photographer is a news photographer and he did exactly what he is supposed to do. Your tire fitter is supposed to fit tires, your dentist is supposed to cure teeth, and your news photographer is supposed to take pictures of anything newsworthy in front of him. Had he done it for the vile money, so be it. The tire fitter and the dentist do it for the vile money as well.

It's too easy to point fingers. Don't judge, and you won't be judged.

And in any case tube trains are normally bound to enter the station at a certain slow speed so that they can break in such circumstances. Nobody seems to blame the real culprit, NY underground, for the sloppy security measures.

Ten seconds at each station could be "wasted" in a slow approach and it would be much more sensible. I think if I bet the train was approaching the station at an excessive speed I would likely win.