Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
Then the only solution is to test for yourself. When I present data (characteristic curves) for films like CMS20, people argue I'm wrong, but despite repeated requests nobody has presented any curves to support what they think they see out of these films. Instead they post image scans that contradict their own claims. More examples just above - high contrast, harsh gradation, blank shadows etc. If that is the look you are after I have no argument against it. After all photography is about personal aesthetics.

If you are at all concerned with tonality and flexibility under a variety of contrast conditions please do your own testing and be very skeptical of what you read. If you like what you're seeing, by all means use these films. Just be aware they are special purpose films and as such will never give you anywhere near the overall utility, flexibility and quality of general purpose films. There are always tradeoffs.
Point taken, I didn't look too much into the posted images - hard to tell if it is the film or scan or screen calibration that created the high contrast...

I've shot a dozen rolls of Rollei Pan 25/Rodinol and aside from a few film defects, I like it so far, probably more than Ilford Delta 100. But I just read it's being discontinued (the current emulsion is in fact Efke 25), so I'd rather try something else... I ordered a few rolls of ATP, and will soon try TMAX/Xtol...

My experience with Tech pan was limited and I mostly shot some blast furnaces in low contrast lighting and was more concerned with detail.

On another note Mike, do you know of any good drum scanning services in Montreal ? I just had a really bad experience with Photosynthèse...