I'll throw in my 2 cents here. I owned a newer black 50/2.8 Elmar for a few months, shot a number of rolls, and decided to sell it. It's a good lens, really good, and VERY cool looking too. But I am HUGELY subjective in my like and dislike of lenses. To me I look for a certain character in my lenses that can perhaps best be described as moderate contrast, strong but not clinical sharpness, creamy midtones and a background bokeh that emphasizes a some 3-D look. And I shoot almost 98% B&W. I find this character (though in differing degrees and ways) in my 50/2 Summicron DR, 50/2 Summitar, 50/3.5 Elmar, 50/2 Nikkor-S and 45/2 Planar-G. The 50/2.8 Elmar just did not have that certain unique character for me. Neither did the Canon 50/1.5, the 40/1.4 Nokton and yes, even the 50/1.4 Summilux (late one too) all of which I tried and later sold off. TOTALLY subjective so take that for what it's worth. In the end handling will be important but to me I can eventually get used to how a lens handles if it's giving me the results I want. So bottomline advice from me would be try them both, shoot a bunch of rolls, develop and see which you like better. You can easily sell them for what you paid if not more. Have fun.