"What kinda camera is that?"
"can you still get film for that?"
"how many mega pixels is that?"
"Is that black and white?"

3 out of 4 of those questions could be asked even if you weren't shooting film, more so if you had a tripod and were stood still for extended periods.
When people see a photographer with a tripod, especially if you're relatively smartly dressed, they assume you are...

a) surveying (I've had this too)
b) simply a 'professional' (which means you're a maverick and potentially famous)
c) photographing their kids (see global hysteria)
d) photographing them (people are paranoid about their privacy today)

All these things suggest that what you're doing will effect other people. If you want to photograph in public, just accept that as a photographer, you are the enemy. The only way to counter their unfounded, media poisoned prejudices is by being courteous.

I believe that even the people who ask polite questions really just think you're a voyeur. Making photographs in public, you'll only attract the attention of other voyeurs and the paranoid. People will differ in the way they confront you - 'good cop, bad cop', but it's ultimately all negative attention.

Translating the questions:

"What kinda camera is that?" means "I like photographing children too, but with cheaper cameras"
"can you still get film for that?" means "The government should do something about your type, hippie."
"how many mega pixels is that?" means "Can you make out my kid in those photos?"
"Is that black and white?" means "Only painters are artists, dick"