While out photographing some ivy at one of our local biergartens, I was approached by several folks. The first group was a older lady and her grandkids. The grandson saw me and was interested, so she wanted to show them how photography used to be done. I talked with them for some time, letting the kids look in the camera and showing them how my filters changed the scene. They all were very cool. The next group to come along was some late teens, in skater fashion. They were even more impressed. They thought it was cool that someone was "going retro" in their little town! Both interactions were very pleasant. Another time, a local polizei stopped and questioned me. Even he was cool, and got under my jacket to look at the scene.

In all those cases it was more curiosity than anything. The sad thing was the teens, when told the camera didn't do anything automatically, were somewhat disappointed. They basically said having to figure out exposure meant learning too much math, and having to focus involved to much effort. It's sad, and yet we were the same way about things. Who wanted B&W TV, the other kids had color? Who wanted to write out the solution when we had calculators?

I'm glad my daughter gets involved in the photography with me. Last night she learned about exposure and how to use the Zenit over/underexposure indicators to get the scene close to what she wanted, so the new generation aren't completely without hope!