Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
Consider bouncing a Halide shop light off of walls or ceiling. The color balance won't perfectly match ordinary incandescent lamps, but might be close enough. Be careful not to get the shop lights too close to flammable material -- they are hot!
Like many aspiring photographers I had to buy hot lights at some point in my venture into home studio photography and like many before me, I had to find out why they aren't universally used:
  1. They are bright and nobody will want to look into them, not even if they are softened with an umbrella. Convincing babies/kids between 0 and 8 years of age to look into them anyway "for the perfect pic" is an exercise in futility. BTDT.
  2. They are not nearly as bright to ISO 400 film as they are to human eyes. What seems way too bright for us, brings F/4 and 1/15s, if that. Bounced against a wall means even less brightness in the target area. Also note that their color is not daylight but close to tungsten, which means I either have to use 64T film (sloooooow) or a KB12 filter which eats two stops.
  3. They do draw a lot of attention, which means even if I can convince my off spring not to touch them or otherwise tilt them over and smash them, they will be enough of a distraction to completely destroy any candid atmosphere. According to my little angels even a flash is a never ending source of excitement which its lit "test" button that makes "pop" and a flash.

My experience is based on two 500W halogen lights. I could have gotten two more before my circuit breakers say no, but the two I have already convinced me that this is a dead end for me. My current avatar photo was shot with Fuji 64T and these hotlights, and you don't want to see enlargements or projections of this slide