Quote Originally Posted by Slixtiesix View Post
I completely disagree with Mr. Bills theory for the following reason: If you have a wide-angle group shot where people standing near the edges of the frame look distorted, then this distortion plus the distortion caused by the print viewing distance will add to each other.
Hi, not so! First, the "theory" is supported by actual viewing of prints. When the wide angle photo of a group has apparent distortion, the heads near the outer perimeters become elongated away from the center. (This is due to the lens projection effectively striking a tilted-away surface.)

When a final print is viewed from a substantial distance, that elongation (away from center) is obvious. But as the viewing distance gets closer, the outer edges of the print are seen at steeper angles, and the original elongation becomes visually compressed. At the exactly correct viewing distance, the heads will visually become correct.

I now understand more clearly why Mark kept saying "Just try it."

Quote Originally Posted by Slixtiesix View Post
If a group of people is photographed with, letīs say 70mm, distortion free lens, everyone should look natural shaped when the print is viewed from distance but if you come closer, people toward the edges will look more distorted from the center perspective.
Yes, I concur. Certainly this will happen as a result of the print being viewed from too close (relative to the original lens used).

If the print is already distorted because it was taken with a wide angle lens, they will even look more distorted.
Not so - the distortions are in opposite directions, they will cancel each other out.