Quote Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
Is it possible to get hold of some Cokin-P sized rigid optical sheets in 'very yellow' (I suppose 200cc?) and 'very magenta', probably from a movie supplies place? Long ago I was a customer of SRB in the UK, but there are certainly more options in the US. There is nothing magic about the manufacturer's filter material after all. These higher quality filters would be flatter, easier to clean, optically much better and be more robust in use than the gel multigrade filters, and should work fine for split-contrast printing. You could even buy a third one which might look like Grade-3, or so, to simplify the 'average' print.

They might have to be filed down a bit as to not be stiff to get in and out like they normally are. The ones I have are fitting really flat and I might even tape a stiffener at one end to help them remain that way. Like I said I am going to run some tests at 20x24 with 8x10 test strips and see. If I can not detect any difference, I will just use them until I have both the time and room to completely swap out systems to something like an LPL 4500 VCCE.

For amateur printers, much of what is out there is ok. But for pros who need perfectly consistent results in a production atmosphere, this craft is truly half-assed.