Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilde View Post
$400 and the lens named is a big stretch. I have the same 135mm lens in a Crown Graphic in good, but not perfect, shape with an OEM rigid case meant for carrying camera and a stock of double cut film holders and lenses for $100 4 years ago at a Toronto PHSC camera swap meet. $20 bought a a pair of flat lens boards.

I echo Ian's comments about coverage. Don't adjust anything unless very stopped down if you want to hope to cover the whole neg with any sort of rise/drop, slide, twist or tilt.

I sometimes fit a 210 f/5.6 Symmar into it when I know I want to shoot portraits in 4x5 in a more protable outside setting where the monorail is too much to drag out.
The camera will 'just' close with this lens on it.
The bellows is at almost full maximum extension if you want to fill the frame with the face of your sitter, at a distance of about 5-6 feet.
Other 210 designs maynot need to go so far out.

If you were shooting only b&w, then don't be afraid to back up a bit and put some space around a face. Fill the print with the face,a nd leave yourself some blank space.
Also be aware of where you 'cant' fill' if you plan to print to 11x14 aspect ratio instead of 8x10.

I was shooting chromes on the day, trying to set a nice framing right from the exposure.
I ran into the bellows issue, and discovered there was no room for any movements when focussed close up in this manner.
I have a Bush and Lomb 210 which is Tessor type, my Crown just does not enough bellows for a 210, I need to use my Speed. For longer lens you really do want a Speed, I think the longist lens for my Crown is a 180. A couple of years ago the Getty had an exhibt on news photography, they had a Speed that the LA times used for sports in the 50s and 60s that had been modifed for a 600mm. There was a photo showing a photographer shooting a Rams game from the sideline on very heavy duty tripod.