Here are some details of evaluation (from the Altman-Henn paper):

*note, for symbols I can't make, I'll give my version in "[]", as well as stuff in the citations using "()":

(After processing in the sensitometric machine of Jones, et al)
The resultant strips were evaluated in accordance with standard practices described in the literature. The speeds which will be cited later in the paper are 0.3 [G bar] speeds measured according to the familiar ASA criterion. Granularity was measured in terms of the root-mean-square of the granularity fluctuations (G.C.Higgins and K.F.Stultz, J.Opt.Soc.Am.,49: 925 (1959)). The diameter of the scanning aperture was 24 [microns] and the sample density was unity. Acutance was measured as described by Perrin, (Jour.SMPTE,69:151 (1960)) the sample density was also unity. Since the curve shapes were similar, a single number at a constant density is a reasonable indication of the behaviour of the developers.
I know this is not too helpful, but at least no one needs to wonder if the original paper gave useful methods.

There is a little more to go on, for anyone who has the first version (Thomas Woodlief) of the SPSE Handbook of Photographic Science and Engineering. In the Chapter "Image Structure and Evaluation," a section on "Graininess and Granularity" is written by Altman. Also, a section on "Acutance and Sharpness" is written by Perrin. Since the book is published in 1973, one might wonder if these things have changed since the Altman-Henn paper we are discussing. It seems not, since the SPSE book includes pertinent references which are the same as above, or older. (note that the Altman-Henn paper was originally presented in 1959, but was published in 1961)