Quote Originally Posted by film_man View Post
You know just because you see someone using a film camera doesn't mean they want to sit there and talk with a complete stranger (and let's face it, usually an old fart) about cameras. Every now and then while I'm out shooting with my friends or family some old geezer will stop by and say "hey nice camera" (usually when I carry the Hasselblad). So I'll say "hey thanks, good day to you sir" and usually that's that. Sometimes a few more words will be exchanged and I might even let the person fondle the camera a bit or look down the finder which is usually followed by a very long "oooooohhhhh".

But sometimes someone will say "ohhh is that a 50/80/150/whatever lens on it" and I'll say "yeah..." and then they'll go on about some old story about how they had one or always wanted one or their friend who worked for Time magazine or whatever had one or this and that and you know what, I really do not care because I am out with my friends and my wife and the kids and whoever else and I just don't want to talk cameras, I just want to have a good time and use the camera rather than talk about it. So after ending up in this situation a few times I now just try to end the conversation as quickly as possible.

So maybe the 17 year old just didn't want to talk to some random guy so don't be too quick to judge. Just sayin'...
Your observation is true for the most part: It usually is one of the over-40 crowd that recognizes a film camera...and then proceeds to give a lengthy discourse on his/her own experiences...the virtues of various films...their favourite camera(s)... In my experience, however, there are a couple of exceptions to the "generational divide." Folks seem always to be intrigued by my Hasselblads (always asking questions about the thing and wanting to look through the viewfinder), and always stop for a look-see if I have a motor-driven F2 out. In the case of the former, part of the interest may no doubt stem from its unusual appearance; in the case of the latter I would hedge a bet that it is either its well-beaten appearance or the fact that the sound of the motor-drive is enough to disturb the wildlife...