Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
It's the D users crowd that although might got some very good pictures don't know how their cameras work.
I don't know if this anecdote is appropriate for this forum, but as others have responded to this quote with a "why does it matter if the pictures come out OK" attitude perhaps an example will illustrate.

Over the holidays I was back in Pittsburgh visiting family and we attended the memorial service held under one of the bridges in downtown for the homeless who had died that year. This was about 7pm; there was a variety of city lights but it was still quite dark under the bridge. One woman had pushed her way to the front of the crowd and had what appeared to be a full frame Canon d*%#!@l (the one that looks like it has an autowinder attached) and a long, slow zoom lens with the ubiquitous hood. She snapped a couple shots with no flash, then had to see the dark screen before having an inkling that anything was amiss. She then added a bounce flash which she pointed straight up (!) and proceeded to click away, occasionally rechecking the screen but never trying to aim the flash, or having any concept of the backlighting from the street lamps, etc.

This woman's clownish and intrusive behavior was entirely inappropriate given the solemnity of the event. Granted, others were using flashes and video lights, but she was the only one with an obvious sense of entitlement to shove a huge lens in the face of folks holding a memorial service, and constantly disrupt the scene with flashes illuminating the underside of the bridge. After the service was over, I noticed that she had a second camera around her neck (it appeared to be the same model). So she had probably $20,000 of camera equipment just on her person, but she didn't have a clue as to selecting the proper lens, setting the ISO or even how to use a flash!

So in answer to the "what does it matter" question, it matters because there is a lot more to taking a photograph than just clicking away and hoping something comes out OK. A photographer should know what equipment to use and how to use it appropriately for a given circumstance, rather than detracting from the event they are trying to record. This is never more clearly illustrated than with folks who spend far too much for a camera and believe that they are suddenly a photographer.

By the by, I had thought about loading a roll of Provia 400 into my OM-4t and trying to push it three stops, but decided that even that would be inappropriate under the circumstances.