Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
Most current cameras are rated at 250 volts according to their manuals*. And despite extra control circuitry, the 'stone age' method of discharging a small capacitor into a trigger transformer to create an ionising pulse is still the way they work today, albeit with a couple of thyristors to turn it off when enough light has been received.
This doesn't seem to be the case in Canon land. While some camera models can handle 250V if connected through their PC sockets, their hot shoes are limited to 6V. Likewise my RZ67 accepts 12V max. This posting claims that only Nikon cameras can take 250V through their hot shoes.

Please be careful before you claim that any camera can handle high trigger voltages, 300V can do a lot of damage to electronic circuits even if only a small capacitor is discharged.

And just before this pops up: sensitivity to high trigger voltages is not an issue of analog vs. digital camera. While most ancient cameras can handle 300V without problems, I would at least double check any camera less than 20 or 30 years old, see my examples of EOS 3 and RZ67.