Quote Originally Posted by fmajor View Post
I'm sure you're a fine photographer, but to offer another presentation of the importance of a good, solid tripod i'd also read what Thom Hogan (just some professional photographer) says about tripods:

http://bythom.com/support.htm

If i had profoundly deep pockets, i suppose i'd buy a Really Right Stuff TVC-33. However, i use a Mamiya RB67 Pro-S which is a bit heavier than a Hassy so my needs are different.... Otherwise, i'm perfectly satisfied with my Feisol CT-3342 carbon-fiber tripod and it holds my RB67 just fine....
I read that link some time ago... and bought a Tiltall. I agree with the photographer's basic philosophy. I have actually posted that very same link on this forum before. I purchased a VINTAGE Tiltall in very nice condition off of an auction site for something like $80. The beauty of it is even if it doesn't meet your needs you can easily resell it without losing anymore than the cost of half a tank of gas (US gas of course). It's not a bad way to go in the beginning. I totally agree with the author of that article about avoiding buying multiple tripods. A Tiltall is the minimum I would buy and you can get into one of the old school aluminum and brass models for $80 with some patience. I would then skip a bunch of stuff in the mushy middle and go for something top of the line. In the middle is where you pay money and make compromises.