Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
Yes, let's take a look around. Who would want to bring children into the world as it is? After all, the U.N. 1990 poverty goal for 2015 was met in 2008. The world economy grew 6% in the last 7 years, but fossil fuel consumption went down by 4%. Life expectancy in Africa is 5 years longer than it was 10 years ago. The last decade had fewer war deaths than any decade in the 20th century.

Who would ever want to bring children into the world as it was in 1945? Oh, right. My sister was born in 1946.

Who would ever want to bring children into the world as it was in 1916?. Oh, right. My parents were both born in 1917.
My mother was born in 1938, my aunt in 1940 and my other aunt in 1942. After which, my grand-father went volunteer in WWII in 1943 (he was 32 and with three children, never to be called) to defend the fatherland from the incoming invasion by the bloody foreigner. Apparently somebody with a lot of belly and not many hair told him we would have repelled the invader on the shores of Sicily*.

The lesson I can derive from this is that if only rational people made children, the world would be inhabited by now

* He told me later that on southern Sicily where he was sent the defence was constituted by an average machine-gun every 11 km of coast. Not joking.