I think often about how art photography fits into the future of photography in general. As an art photo student, I don't really have anything to do with the commercial side of photography and don't do it on the side (not that I have an issue with those that do). I photograph people because I want to do that and I'm sort of figuring out what I really want out of my work. Many of my fellow art photographers occupy an odd space. We make work with much different intent and (hopefully) vision than most other photographers, and technological changes affect us differently. Instagram and cellphone photos in general and just about everything else exists in an almost parallel universe in a way. Some of the photographs taken there are terrific, even if not shot with a particular artistic vision. Much of the rest is just noise, however interesting it can be sometimes. I think of Instagram as being the equivalent of 35mm cameras in the 1970s and 1980s. The picture quality is almost identical now (I refer to the quality most amateurs and snapshooters got, not professionals and high quality amateurs using the same cameras), and the only difference is that prints were common in those days and are rare now from cellphones.

For me as an art photographer, all I really want is to be able to use film to photograph people in a way of my choosing. I'm not sure how many more art photographers (actual and potential) there are now vs. a generation ago. There are probably more, given the advent of digital to allow people to experiment and gradually figure things out more cheaply, but at the same time, I think stylized photography that quickly turns into fodder for the usual places is much more common.

For people living in the small world I spend a lot of my time in, the changes both affect us a lot and not much at all. Film is still commonplace, some people use processes that were old at the beginning of the 20th century, and generally speaking, photographs and bodies of work are made with some kind of artistic intent, however loose it can be sometimes. Is our community so small, even taken altogether, that we don't even show up as a blip on the photographic radar? A "yes" answer to that wouldn't surprise me. Just sort of asking in general .