Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
I personally wouldn't but it's more due to its size than its features. When I first saw one I found it hard to believe that it wasn't medium format and only produced postage stamp sized 35mm negatives.

Steve.
+1. I won an F4S body on ebay sometime back (two years, perhaps); I had bid on a whim, and somehow managed to win the thing (around $100, give or take, if memory serves). From the start, I was impressed with the camera's metering capabilities, viewfinder display (especially its brightness), the built-in diopter adjustments, its multi-mode capabilities (far more than I would ever need, but still impressive) and the quickness of the camera's motor drive (I often shoot wildlife photography). However, I could not get passed the awful ergonomics of the F4S: the thing is big, chunky and awkward. Holding it in my hands, I thought the F4S to be the most gratuitiously oversized piece of 35mm equipment I had ever used. Needless to say, the beast did nor stay in my possession for long: after one roll of film, I gave it away to my sister - also a Nikon shooter. Her reaction was near the same as mine (she shoots with a pair of F3HPs and a D700); one roll and then up on the shelf. A few weeks later while visiting her, she returned the camera with a "thanks, but...". I took the thing back - with more that a little hesitation - stuck it up on the shelf. A month or so later, seeking a new home for the camera, I gave the thing to my nephew (F2A and F3, no digital - a very enlightened 18 year old!) who accepted the thing with more than modicum of hesitation ("soo...this is an F4...thanks..."). While he and I have been out shooting together in Banff at least half a dozen times since I gave him the F4S, the camera has yet to put in an appearance. When asked about it, he told me he keeps the camera as a "spare." Given that he shoots with two of the most reliable cameras ever built, I assume that this particular F4S has been consigned to a lengthy stay in camera purgatory...