Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
I just got back from the lab a roll of Provia 100F. I am continually amazed at the level of color in this film, although the skin tones sometimes seem too saturated. Still, it is a very impressive film and can be viewed by eye a bit as I am shooting 6 x 4.5. The slides are so impressive that I am tempted to shoot an even larger format, possibly 6 x 7. But I'm wondering how most people use slides that they make. Projecting is not very common is it? Are slides enjoyable just looking on a light table? Do you also use a loupe? Do you find (insert the word that dare not be used here)-ing them to be satisfactory?

I am tempted to shoot more Provia film, but at the end of the day, it seems that I am confused at how best to use them. The computer screen perhaps is not my answer even though that is the easiest.

Sorry for rambling on.....
I don't know, this was a problem I faced back in 1982, Cibachromes as they were known then, were good, but expensive, and I didn't have a projector, and knew that getting one, was a good way to lose all my friends, so I added the 10 rolls or so of slides I had to the archives, and they are still there. I have not seriously looked at them, in probably 20 years or so, other then looking at a couple a few years ago, during a scanning project. I gave up on the scanning project when, I realized how much of my early work, from back then, was complete crap.... The real way to use slides though, is projection, the key to a good slide show is you need 5-6 minutes of really good stuff, rather then 50-60 minutes of mostly mediocre stuff.

Us boomers, all remember sitting through aunt Ethels, 9,000,000 slide show where 8,999,983 of them were Uncle Henry, standing in front of some landmark or another, in that same tweed suit, with the same hat, and same pained look on his face, as Ethel droned on stories of the trip we had all heard at least 25,000 times before. Latin has the perfect term for those shows, ad nausium, as in the show seems to go on ad nausium.....