Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
My opinion was, and remains, that since the age of chivalry was assassinated by women's liberation we should welcome women as equals and support their rights on a level playing field; but a playing field that ALSO removes the previous advantages that 'made up' for their inequality in the past
in bold is the part that might make people think you're sexist, underlined is probably why you are... in case you were still wondering

Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
I also offer one huge reason why many believe women have little interest in learning the technical aspects - from an early age in school, girls are usually pushed towards the house stuff and boys are pushed towards the scientific and outside stuff. Studies have shown that this leads towards both sexes believing that girls don't understand the technical parts as well (just read an article yesterday, in fact). In school, boys are usually the ones who speak up, not the girls. Girls are taught to be quiet and listen. Boys are taught that being raucous is fine. Women who are used to being around groups of men can usually dish it out as well as take it, and will stand up for themselves (as we're seeing here). Just because you think women are shying away from the technical stuff by not posting relentlessly about it, doesn't mean we don't like the technical part. More women do need to be pushed towards science in school - any of you with girls had better be thinking about this, too. It takes overcoming a social bias, though. And apparently a world-wide one.
This is sadly only too true. The only thing I'd say is that this social bias discourages girls before they might even want to learn the technical stuff - helping perpetuate the idea thereafter, it's all depressingly circular.

For a thread containing claims that men are more technically minded and logical in their thinking, there seem to be a lot of logical fallacies flying around...